By Amanda Sangster - December 04, 2020
For fifteen consecutive years, Moffitt Cancer Center has recognized the contributions of our Advanced Practice Professionals (APPs) and the many roles they represent with the APP of the Year Award. The best part about this award is that not only do team members get to nominate their fellow co-workers, patients and their families are also asked to nominate their favorite APP. This year, there were 144 nominations for 67 individuals.
The winner is
The 2020 Advanced Practice Professional of the Year Award was presented to Allison Fromm, an advanced practice registered nurse from Moffitt’s Department of Radiation Oncology, during a virtual reception last month. Other finalists for the award include Danielle Laskowitz, PA-C, and Lisa Cozzini, APRN.
Fromm has been at Moffitt since 2007 and says, “I have had the great pleasure and honor of working with so many tremendously talented providers over all the years. The APP of the Year award is not single-handedly earned; I owe gratitude to all of the patients I get to care for and to all the incredible staff I get to work with on a daily basis which make my job so rewarding and fulfilling.”
What patients, caregivers and colleagues say about Fromm
- “She is extremely reliable and detailed in patient management, leaving no clinical detail forgotten. Whether a new consult or a follow up of a patient, you can rest assured that it will be taken care of promptly and accurately.”
- “Anytime she calls a patient, she always takes the time to ask about something personal they have discussed in the past before getting into the medical reason for her call. She retains innumerable personal factoids about each patient, and they LOVE this.”
- “Every time we reached out, she has been there for us no matter the circumstances. She has absolutely made a difference in our lives and we cannot thank her enough.”
- “I have been very impressed with her as an emerging leader. From using her leadership skills to mentoring a new APP, helping with policy development or testing and coverage duties during COVID-19. When COVID-19 hit, she was there on site, every day (not one day off) to handle any issues.”
- “Her smile is infectious and genuine and her presence uplifts both patients and colleagues. I can’t think of anyone more deserving of this award.”
Fromm says that Moffitt is a special place and she feels incredibly fortunate to do what she loves daily. “I’m fortunate to take care of patients when they need it the most and make a difference in their cancer journey,” she added. “This is a once in a lifetime award and I’m elated to be a part of this superlative organization.”
"I'm fortunate to take care of patients when they need it the most..."- Allison Fromm, APRN
Advanced Practice Professionals play an important role on the care team at Moffitt, providing expert clinical oncology care, counseling and education to patients and family members. Several different types of health care professionals are considered APPs including Physician Assistants, Advanced Practice Registered Nurses, Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists and Anesthesiology Assistants. At Moffitt, we have more than 300 APPs working in a variety of clinics and specialties.